Monday, August 9, 2010
I've been walking around the last few days feeling forlorn. I haven't been able to put my finger on the exact reason: with all the work we've been doing, I just figured I'm exhausted and busy. Church yesterday made me realize what it is. Are you ready?
I'm going to miss Georgia.
It's no secret to our friends that we've often had a love/hate relationship with Georgia. Ben's a Buckeye and I'm a Cali girl: Transplanting to the South has been an adventure and a horror story all in one for us. We've learned excruciatingly slow -just in time to leave!- to make the best of things, to not complain so much, to love a place for its people despite other unsavory details.
We've brought three babies home to this house, endured summer months without air conditioning, had family come and go, and grown so very, very much. When we arrived in Georgia, I was an active duty Airman with every intent to do twenty and retire in glory. It was here during our first unseasonably warm winter that I felt the first twinge to stay home with the little one growing in my midsection. I cried and resisted and did the next best thing (transferred to the Reserves!)(which turned out to not be a great thing after all, but that's another blog post).
Other friends had babies, or more of them. We had more too. Initially convinced that I was frittering away precious years on a wave of emotions and sentiment, I can see now -I know now- that deciding to stay home was the best choice I've ever made. We found a great church that truly feels like home, filled with big-hearted people who have locked arms with us and taught us so much.
And therein lies the crux of all my recent melancholy: I've been so sure that I am ready to peel out of Augusta, Georgia when all along I've been aching to bid farewell to the humidity, the absence of In'N'Out, that rude woman who cut me in line at Target. But I will also be leaving behind a treasury of dear friends who have claimed my heart as deeply as any family member. And that... that will be a hard day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I will probably say this over the course of the next few years about a million times, but -- I can't imagine how strange this all must be.
Exciting, yes, but the process of uprooting and transplanting seems so daunting to me. I worry about it for your sake, even though I know you're a tough little family :) Just savor the time left in GA, and you can bet your friendships there won't just fade into the blue. They'll still be there. Waiting for an email or a postcard :)
And they'll probably all be jealous of your wanderings :) (Much like myself!)
But I promise you: there are awesome people in DC, too ;) and if you need anything to help get settled, let me know.
Oh Lenae, I can really relate to this post. The goodbyes are going to be hard, but (as I'm sure you already know) the friendships you've formed aren't going end when you move. They'll just transform into something beautiful and new. Good luck with this transition. I know it's going to be hard, but I'll think you'll find it's totally worthwhile.
Aww, ((HUGS))... So hard to leave, it's true, but you all will do great, I just KNOW it! :) I still miss things about Ohio almost weekly and hold things and memories fondly in my heart. I know we'll get back to visit sometime and maybe even in years and years, but that is enough for me... Take in the last few weeks and enjoy! :) Oh, and we might need to talk about GA! I'll let you know... ;)
Post a Comment