Tuesday, May 11, 2010

it's been long enough to see clearly.










Saturday night we went to the drive-in movie theater.
As we drove home in the darkness
while our kids slept in their seats,
we talked about the past five years
because later this month will mark
FIVE YEARS.
The number sounds small and big at the same time
-small, when you think of how many times you have to multiply that to arrive at our parents' mile markers
-large, when you meditate on just how far we've come

and baby, we've come a long way.

There is something magical and fabulous about spontaneously having a long conversation centered on how much God has blessed your life. We traded a few funny stories from our dating days, recalled some fun experiences from our time as newlyweds (it was just us for awhile? Really?) And then we'd start talking quickly about what we used to be like. We'd laugh and roll our eyes and then there would be a short gap of silence when it hit us individually: I'm different. We're different. And we're still struggling but hey, look back the way we came! We're not there anymore.

Since that night, I've felt enveloped in love and appreciation. It's nice to have a fresh twist of perspective for my husband, to fall in love all over again with the man he is now and have my cheeks flush with gratitude because I get to spend my life with him. Because I am privileged to be in the passenger seat while he continues to become who God created him to be.

More than that even, I've had an indescribable deepening of adoration for God. I tend to think of God as a scary authority figure, and it was humbling that night to realize that despite all the times I've messed things up, He has been faithful and merciful to me. For every trembling, tentative step I've taken forward, He has swooped me up and set me back down a thousand feet beyond that point.

Five years, short thought it may be in the grand scheme of things, is long enough to prove that our God is good.

14 comments:

That Married Couple said...

Beautiful! Happy Anniversary!

Bethany said...

Congratulations on almost five years! And so young still :)

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

What a beautiful post! I love it! :) Enjoy your anniversary week with your hubby!

Megan said...

Happy Anniversary! Love your post! :)

Kathi @ A Mother's Prayers said...

Happy 5 Years!

I think it's so neat, how you took the time to stop and talk about all that God has done for your family. If more couples would do that, I think we'd see more getting to this very BIG mark!

Very good post.

Savvy Little Women - Kate said...

This is awesome - seriously beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Jill said...

Don't you just love God's faithfulness and mercy? Pretty amazing, huh? Happy Anniversary!

Emily said...

Happy Anniversary!!! What a great post!!

Rebecca said...

Happy Anniversary! I love those moments and talks about how good God is.

Dina said...

Congratulations!!! and dang, I lost the giveaway! ;)

Jenny said...

Yes, God is good and faithful! Happy 5 years, you have a beautiful family! Thanks for letting us get to know them!

Kristi said...

Happy Anniversary, Lenae! I'm sincerely happy for you; this is the way it's supposed to be!

(love the photos)

Lori said...

So sweet...Happy Anniversary!

Janice said...

Happy Anniversary- LATE.... YOu think it is hard to believe, it is hard on us 'old folks' who have been married coming up on 32 years, and harder still to believe that we are old enough to have children old enough to be married 5 years- Katie and Jon will be married 5 years in October, and it is soooo hard to believe my baby is old enough to be married let alone married with a baby! Congrats! I'm wishing you many, many more years of falling in love all over again.