Wednesday, January 27, 2010

if it doesn't break your heart...

Since my husband left on Sunday for a week of training, I've been having quite a week managing the kids on my own. It's startling to me how much clarity I can lack, how inaccurately I can view my own life. The basics are these: It's me, a 3-year-old, a 1-year-old, and a 4-month-old. They're tiny people learning how to manage their emotions, desires, fruit snacks and orange juice at the same time. I'm an imperfect woman with limits on my patience, only two hands, and a terrible head cold. Push comes to shove, and how I try - I cling - I dig out just a little more love, a soft response, a smile rather than flashing, angry eyes.

But I refuse to utter these words into reality. Instead, I trod from room to room collecting wrappers and dirty socks, telling myself that I am failing at this. Motherhood - I'm failing at it. If I were a better person, a better Christian, this situation would be a pleasant boat ride on a placid sea. I am causing a storm. I am a failure.

Yesterday I received a phone call from my sweet friend from church. Could she come over and hang out for a bit? Help me get the boys ready to go to Wednesday evening church? I quickly agreed, even though my brain was screaming not to. (I have a hard time accepting help. It means I'm not perfect.) Also, I've secretly convinced myself that this is the bed I made and so must lay in it. I chose to have "all these" children and in the same turn disqualified myself from any type of assistance. This was only reinforced when someone close to me observed when I had only my first two, "You're barely holding it together."

The lies, they're an ugly merry-go-round in my head.

At the fellowship meal before classes tonight, I thought I was going to explode. The 1-year-old was squirming and screaming and running away from me and the 3-year-old wanted nothing to do with his dinner. People kept appearing at my elbow: Did I need a drink? Could they hold the baby? Here, they'd follow Eli around... I said 'no, no' and finally caved. Sweet tea, please. Sure, hold him- isn't he sweet? I hope you have tennis shoes on because that kid can run. In the bathroom (alone! Silence!) I suppressed the burning at the back of my eyes, the pressing urge to cry.

Finally, an hour later with the baby cuddled on my lap and a Bible opened on the desk in front of me, the burning cooled and seeped away from me. I breathed. And the stomach ache I've had since my husband boarded the airplane on Sunday morning, was gone.

---

At the end of the fellowship meal, I'd found myself talking hurriedly to my friend about some of my insecurities regarding homeschooling. How can I homeschool them if I can barely hold it together for a week?, I said emptily. My deepest feelings started tumbling uncontrollably out of my mouth. She interrupted me softly: "You're doing a good job, Lenae. You're doing a good job."

---

It is humbling and overwhelming to grasp in a small way how much our Father loves us when we allow ourselves to be loved by others. I come empty-handed to His throne, but my arms are locked with His other sons and daughters. And I know, looking down the line at all of their faces, that I can keep going. Keep striving. Keep loving.

"If it doesn't break your heart, it isn't love
If it doesn't break your heart, it's not enough
It's when you're breaking down with your insides coming out
That's when you find out what your heart is made up of."
-Yet, Switchfoot

12 comments:

Ben said...

You
Are
Awesome!

Emily said...

"your barely holding it together"- some people can be very discouraging! Take it one day at a time, this too shall pass! From what I read, your are doing such a good job, your heart is in it.
Go Lenae, Go Lenae, Gooooo Lenae!!

That Married Couple said...

Your week is almost over! You're a great mother, and an inspiration to those of us who want to be in your place in a few years!

Emily said...

I wandered around my house all day today feeling like a complete and utter failure. I didn't take Katherine to ballet even though the roads were clear and it was bright and sunny. I let the girls watch way too much TV. I was bored while we were playing outside. The house is complete and utter chaos. We ate canned soup for dinner. I didn't give them baths at bedtime. The highlight of their day? I let them play Duck, Duck, Goose with a neighbor. It had absolutely nothing to do with me.

It's hard to be on your own with young children. Add a baby into the mix and it's practically impossible. I don't think you're failing at motherhood. I think you're *more* than barely holding it together. And, I think you were right to let go a little bit at church and let the other women help.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Everything's okay and, it's almost over!

fumblingtowardgrace said...

No lie, your post made me cry, like tears streaming down my face. and I am at Panera. I admire you and your brood so very much. :)

I understand how you feel, even though I do not have any earthly children ( I have 1 in heaven). I hold myself to such high expectations in all areas of my life, that failure is always looming large, and I often wonder if the reason why God has not given me any other children yet is because He knows I will be a terrible, impatient mother.

Just keep leaning on Him, and also, it's almost Friday! Your husband will be home soon, and then you can go do something for yourself like have a margarita while getting a pedicure. Or something equally fabulous.

You're inspiring to me; I love your blog. :)

This Heavenly Life said...

Lenae, you are doing SO much more than barely holding on...you are doing hard work, and you are doing it well. I think from your own expectations and love, you're placing a huge burden on yourself. Nobody's perfect. We're all just like you! Struggling through rough patches, excelling on glorious days, and hoping for the best no matter what.

There's no question of IF you can do this. You ARE doing this. You ARE a wonderful mother. Your boys are lucky. If you feel overwhelmed or bummed about the situation, just take a step back and know that you're constantly moving forward. Tomorrow will come. The kids will grow up. Three kids under 4 is tough, lady. Even the most together mom would tell you so -- assuming there even is a together mom with 3 under 4 :)

I just wish to the very tips of my toes, that I lived next door to you. At the very least, you'd see from peeking in my windows that you're doing a good job !

Hang in there Lenae!

CM said...

I want to add that you're doing a great job! I don't have the same lies being whispered to me, but I have also been fighting the lack of clarity and the feeling that I stink at life because of the areas that I'm not perfect or that I need help with. You're not the only one! Fortunately, we're both wrong. :)

Rebecca said...

You are doing so much better than barely holding it together. And God knew that and put you with people who would reaffirm you.

I don't have children and can't imagine your day, but I can relate to holding myself to extremely high standards. We are often so hard on ourselves, when what God sees is just who He created us to be.

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

Oh, Lenae, I feel so much the same so, so often. A mother's expectations for herself and the "if only I could get it together/organized/be like so-and-so" hurt so much. You are so right about something, though. When I lean on the Lord more, the mundane and trials of motherhood always become more focused and beautiful and less harsh and trying. I have been really trying lately to embrace Proverbs 31 and know that I'm doing what I'm meant to do and what He wants me to do. Honestly, I wouldn't want to do anything else. I just can't imagine it... This is it. This is what I live for. Serving our Lord, my husband, and our children. ((HUGS)), Friend. Hang in there! We're in this together! :)

lucythevaliant said...

You are so wonderful! You are doing a great job and everyone with eyes know it!!! And your boys are so lucky to have such a great mother.

I get you on not wanting help, though. I always feel like people will think badly of me if I admit to needing some help... or worse, to WANTING some.

My mother-in-law always fusses at me for this. "Don't believe the lie!" She commands. And she's right, it IS a lie. A really deep-rooted one, too.

The truth is, you are an inspiration to us all, and I would very much like to give you a hug and a Starbucks!

Janice said...

Oh, Nae, been there, done that... A long time ago- at Ft Ord... with a Newborn (Katie from language school), a 2 year old, and a 3 year old- and a husband in the field for a month- and me with mastitis in the middle of it all...

Praise God for the offers of friends, and say "yes, thank you". After all, you would be happy to help someone else, wouldn't you? And you are allowing someone to gift you with their time. What a blessing both ways!

Hang in there, you are involved in the most incredible experiance- being your kids' Mom!

Amanda said...

I know I'm chiming in late, but I still want to reply. I only have one child and I get overwhelmed. I admire you, and I think you are a beautiful person with a beautiful heart. You share words that sometimes bring tears, sometimes bring a smile, and always make an impression. Your faith is evident and you are richly blessed. I am glad to have these glimpses into your life. Thank you for sharing!