Wednesday, December 9, 2009

in which I am not the grumpy one, but others are.

It started out a pretty wonderful day. I made the baby laugh for the first time (tickled his neck, if you're wondering) and it splintered my heart into yet another small piece of maternal bliss. I baked an inaugural loaf in the bread machine my parents sent as an early Christmas gift. When my husband arrived home, the smell of Shepherd's Pie and wheat bread hung thick and lovely in the air.

I had a hair appointment at 4:30 and was very excited about it. I've grown my hair out for over a year per my husband's request, but am relieved and delighted to return to a shorter length (which I feel is more naturally Lenae.) Unfortunately, my stylist seemed to be fresh out of cosmetology school. My highlights just barely show up (ah, the downside of having blacker than black hair). And, um, she butchered the haircut. She finished once, and I politely requested a few revisions. She finished a second time and I pointed to this and that. She finished a third time and I gave up. I paid a large bill for a haircut that I hate and I promptly called my husband and tearfully relayed the news so he wouldn't die of shock when he beheld the monstrosity that is now me when I arrived home.

Did I mention that on the way to this appointment I almost got into a car accident? See, I had the right-of-way but a guy at the intersection decided to ignore his stop sign and just cruise on through. Brakes squealed and our cars stopped a foot away from each other. His female companion motioned angrily at me, and he yelled obscenities. And I felt sad because this would be a bummer on any day, but people, it's the Christmas season.

Tomorrow I am hoping for nicer encounters with strangers and a new hair stylist.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I had a similar experience with a haircut - I grew my hair out long enough to donate and still have it fall right above my shoulders, but the girl insisted on "shaping" what was left of my hair until it was ear-length. I thought I would die.

Anyway, I hope your day got better! And I hope you don't encounter anymore rude drivers, at least through the Christmas season!

This Heavenly Life said...

I'm hoping the baby laughter and fresh bread canceled out the cranky drivers and fugly hair? Although, I'm sure it looks better to others than it does to you. If that's any consolation :)