Thursday, November 12, 2009

Quick Takes


1. I talked to my grandparents last night. And while I always miss them, for some reason this latest conversation really wrung my heart out. Maybe it was how my grandmother referred to my cousin as "Little Michael"... Little Michael who's actually in his freshman year of college and thinking of becoming a fireman. She sometimes calls Alexandra, the youngest of us grandkids, "Baby Alli", even though the baby is now in high school. We're all still her babies and knowing that she views us this way fills me up with sentiment. It makes me long for the hugs that thousands of miles deny me.

2. Netflix has ruined me. We have sometimes kept Netflix rentals for over a month. Unfortunately, this isn't because those movies are so amazing that we watched them over and over for weeks. Nope, we just forgot about them. And the beauty of Netflix is that they don't mind a bit. At least I haven't gotten a call from Mr. Netflix yet.

Anyhoo, last week I ran by Blockbuster because we were babysitting and had promised our little guests a movie night. Yesterday as I was cleaning up, I noticed that our rentals were sitting atop the entertainment center. I went on my merry way, the happy tune of Netflix-love playing in my heart, until I realized that those DVDs are not encased in the familiar red envelopes. OH NO. Late fee, anyone?

3. Here's some randomness for ya: Does anyone write in actual cursive anymore? I was printing off handwriting sheets for my oldest son and noticed they had the cursive practice sheets that many of us remember so well from our elementary school days. Just for the heck of it, I gave some cursive lettering a go... and it was atrocious. I guess I haven't used it regularly since 4th grade, but wow. Who's with me in the Crummy Cursive Club?

4. How about typos? You publish a post and realize a minute/hour/day later that there's a typo (or four... cough, cough.) Do you fix it? Leave it be? I must correct it or I'll be thinking about it while I'm showering, fixing dinner, driving to the store... you get the picture. See? Tihs is riving you crazey, isn't it?

5. This post rocked my world.

6. This trailer! I might have squealed. And watched it 3 times.

7. My birthday? It's next week.
  • My husband has convinced me to wear my wedding tiara for that entire day. I might post a picture.
  • There will be presents, for me AND YOU -'cause I'm doing a giveaway! Are you squealing now too? Birthdays are just the best, huh?
{More Quick Take entertainment at Conversion Diary! Have a great weekend, everyone!}

9 comments:

Chelsea said...

My birthday is next week too!

I only use cursive to sign my name. That's it!

I had another comment but I forgot...

Amanda said...

2. Hi, my name is Amanda, and I am also addicted to (and spoiled by) Netflix.

3. I sometimes try to write in cursive. It always starts out kinda nice but morphs into print by the end of a couple of lines.

4. I fix it! I get really embarrassed!

5. Thank you for sharing that post. Good reading.

7. Happy birthday (early)! Hope it's a great one!!!

beck'sthree said...

Oh, how I wished you lived near me. I haven't admitted to the rational adults who live near me that I'm squealing like a schoolgirl, too, about New Moon. It will be a looong time before it gets to my town, so I need someone to drive an hour with me to go see it sooner! Wanna move to Pennsylvania?

Udubalum mama said...

I can only write fully in cursive if I really concentrate, but still think it's important to teach my children.

I always fix the typos. In fact, I'm never fully comfortable posting anything without my husband's perusal.

And, happy birthday!

kim said...

we do netflix too

as I said in my post..my handwriting is attrocious

and yes I am typo queen. I have a gazillion mistakes and no I don't always fix them. But, I do obsess about them anyway I just obsess but don't fix them. i am weird.

Emily G. said...

2. Wow, you are so different from my husband. We get a Netflix on Wednesday, watch it and mail it back Thursday morning so that we get another on Saturday, which is mailed back Monday. And that is the way it is. No exceptions.

3. I am obsessed with cursive handwriting. I always have been. I practice my cursive to keep it 'in shape'.

4. Sometimes I edit about five times....

7. Hope you have a great birthday!

Emily said...

My blog is so full of typos and mistakes and it bothers me SO much that sometimes I want to go back and edit all the posts I've ever written starting with day one. But I don't because I'm too embarrassed that all those old worked-on posts would have to be re-published and would thus be visible (and probably still full of mistakes) to my 38 "followers"...who might then be annoyed at me for cluttering their dashboards with old stuff. I know, I'm weird. Really, really weird...maybe a little crazy. But, what can I do, after all you asked.

Sarah said...

Happy early Birthday!

And sorry, I can't sympathize with you on the cursive thing. I actually prefer to write in cursive. It hurts my hand less. However, I wish my cursive looked like what they taught here in German schools. It's much prettier!

(For reference, you can see some examples here: http://cndrnh.blogspot.com/2009/03/german-and-american-handwriting.html)

Savvy Little Women - Kate said...

Oh you definitely should wear the tiara - classic!!