This Thursday marks my 25th year on planet Earth.My husband has something super-special planned beyond his normal
realm of birthday specialness, because he's been doing a verbal
countdown since Saturday ("Fiiiiiive days 'til Lenae's birthday!").
Sometimes this is accompanied by a tragically off-key rendition of the
birthday song. But man, is he sweet or what?!
To celebrate my big 2-5, I'm giving away two little presents!
- $25 Starbucks gift card
- $25 Barnes & Noble gift card
... Because coffee and books never fail to make my heart happy!
To enter,
leave a comment with any birthday memory you'd like.
I'll close entries at midnight on my birthday (Thurs., 19 Nov)
and announce the winners in my Quick Takes on Friday!
Hurray for birthdays and fun prizes!!!
Can't wait to hear your birthday memories :)
23 comments:
What a great giveaway Lenae! Barnes & Noble?! That's like my heaven-on-earth.
One of my best birthday memories was from my 16th birthday, when my parents got me a hot air balloon ride. My entire extended family was there for the takeoff, lots of friends too, and my dad and I went up for a beautiful bird's eye view. Tiny little cows mooed at us. Tiny little kids on trampolines screamed and waved at us. Tiny little cars pulled over to watch us. It was very memorable.
Are you gonna tell one of *your* birthday memories?
Sarah- That is AMAZING! What a cool gift for your 16th!
I didn't even think to share one of my own memories... I will make sure to post one!
P.S. So I just bought a ticket for the midnight showing (on my birthday!) of New Moon. I think braving the crazed teenage masses on opening night will be a story in itself for next year! ;)
Color me jealous :( It may be a few days or weeks (!) before I'll get to go. Just amping up the anticipation, though!
It's hard to follow Sarah's great hot air balloon birthday, but my 16th birthday was pretty cool too. I had a costume party in the woods behind my house. We had a large stone fireplace out there (safe, right?) and picnic tables, etc. So all my friends came over and we had a big firelit feast. It was all very well supervised by my parents and it was really a lot fun.
Still, nothing like the crazy birthday parties kids are having nowadays. Do they still have that show, My Super Sweet 16? I watched it once before we moved to Italy and it was WILD.
Hope you enjoy your 25th! Have fun at the movie!
Ooo, your party sounds awesome too, Emily! I love the outdoor party idea; Very cool (and safe enough ;) to me.
Ha, I've watched a handful of episodes of My Super Sweet 16. Wow... It's just... ridiculous. I think my favorite parts involve the girls having fits over not getting the luxury car they'd been coveting. "A Corvette?!!!! I wanted a Ferrari!!!!" Soooo dramatic :)
I don't remember what year it was, I was proobably 12 or 13, but I invited my 3 best friends over to my house for an all day birthday party and sleepover. We played video games, played basketball, ate cake and ice cream, and all kinds of stuff. Well somewhere between all the fun my mom decided it would be cool to break out the baby pictures. Really mom!? Baby pictures!? It was embarrasing to say the least. No 12 year old wants pictures of him as a naked baby in the tub shown to his friends.
Happy birthday!!! My birthday was on Tuesday! I've had a fantastic couple of days. (I blogged about it today.) My MIL made me a scrapbook with letters from my friends and family. Very sweet!
What a fun giveaway! I'm wondering why there are not a million entries-but that makes a better chance of winning, so I'm okay with it.
I'm trying to remember my best birthday memory. It is probably my 7th birthday. My mom had given birth to twins a few months before, so she knew she couldn't throw a huge party for me. For the at-home party, I made my own cake for the first time. It looked like it had been kicked around the yard a few times, but I was soooo pround of it. My parents gave me my first bike that wasn't a hand-me-down. It was pink and purple, and I loved it. The day after my birthday, my grandma hosted a pool party for me and my siblings and some of my best friends. We grilled out on her patio and swam. I taught myself to swim underwater. I did it with my eyes open. So I'd have to say the most vivid memory from that birthday is driving home with burning, watery eyes. But I still had the best time.
Hope you are having a fabulous birthday!
I just popped over here from Sarah's -- I've never been here before but I'm a sucker for a giveaway :) Happy 25th birthday! Your husband sounds like such a sweetie!
One of my favorite b-day memories -- I think it was my 5th birthday, I was sick and didn't even get to enjoy my cake, I remember we were at my Grandma's house and I was in bed crying and she came in and hugged me and read me my favorite book and told me stories and promised they'd save me some cake for when I was better. She made me forget all about being sick for a while and it's one of my most precious memories of my grandma!
I too popped over from Sarah's. You are so sweet to give AWAY things for YOUR birthday :) I'm a sucker for birthdays and a sucker for giveaways :)
One of my favorite b-day memories is probably this year, two weeks after we brought babies home from the NICU, my in-laws offered to watch our boys and my hubby took me shopping for the day and then out for dinner. It was such a good time and nice to not have to share him for a day :)
:) Ooh, fun! I came over from "This Heavenly Life" and am always glad to find a new blog! :)
I remember my 10th birthday...getting a Simpson's tshirt (even though The Simpson's were banned in our house!) from a friend at school and dancing to Michael Jackson in the toy room! Haha!
You have such a cute blog!
Happy 25th birthday! (I'm also the big 2-5). How kind of you to be giving things away on YOUR birthday!
I have two favorite birthday memories. One was my 13 birthday party. I convinced my parents to rent one of those big blow up jumpy castle things (you know..that usually five year olds love). The rental place let us keep it overnight, so I had some friends spend the night and we wore that thing out. So fun! My other favorite is when I was studying abroad in Europe, my boyfriend at the time came to visit me...on my birthday...after 4 months of not seeing him. Then he proposed two days later. Ahh..one of the best times of my life!
I'm here from This Heavenly Life. I think my best birthday memory was my 19th birthday, when this guy I had just barely started seeing--I don't know if you'd even say we were "dating" yet since I think we'd gone out maybe one time--remembered my birthday and showed up on my doorstep with a copy of "The Old Man and the Sea." I stayed up late that night reading it, loved it, and was blown away by this guy who was thoughtful enough to surprise me on my birthday, and had great taste enough to give me an amazing work of literature.
I think you can guess the end of the story: that was nearly 11 years ago and we're now married with three little girls.
Hi Lenae,
My daughter Katie forwarded your blog addie to me, cuz she just loves it; I think she knows you from Monterey? I think your blog is going to be a favorite for me too!
One of my most memorable birthdays was my 26th birthday. We had moved to a little tiny town in West Germany (yes, east and west still then)and I was far, far away from home and pretty homesick. My sweet husband & 3 small children planned a 'surprise' party (he is still not to good with keeping secrets) and invited several people over (probably for spagetti- we were pretty poor then). One of the neighbor ladies made a cake. The highlight was getting to call my mom (collect) back in the states.
Kate- Your story made me swoon! Seriously, too sweet.
Janice- What a pleasure to "meet" you! I can only remember one Katie from my time in Monterey, and she was a dear friend during our studies there; I'm honored that her mama enjoys my blog! I adore the memory you shared: Sometimes the simplest, smallest things that remind us we're loved can make a birthday extra-special :)
When I turned 16, my class joined my family on a hike to a waterfall in the little Indonesian town we lived in. We jumped off rocks, ate fried food from vendors, and had a huge waterfight. So much fun...
Happy Birthday to Yoooooooooou!
Hmmmm, my favorite birthday memory might have to be my 40th! I said I wanted a big party and my family delivered! My parents, my husband, my kids, my grandparents, my brother and his family, my in-laws. It was a raucous and excellent time.
EEK, I'm sooo behind on blog reading from being out-of-town... :( But... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :) Yay, whoop, whoop! The big 2-5, whatever! You're still a youngin' to my 29! :)
Let's see, I'll have to post a near-birthday memory, b/c mine is from the day after my birthday, but it still counts to me. My hubby Mark wanted to carve pumpkins one Saturday morning due that my birthday is in early October and all. Over at his house, he took me outside to find the biggest 'ol pumpkin in the world waiting to be carved. Me, being always cold, was of course complaining of the cold and saying how it was going to take for-ev-uh to carve the giant pumpkin. Just get the top off, he'd prod. I'm pretty sure I was rolling my eyes and whining about hot chocolate when I finally got the top off and found a diamond ring in the bottom of the pumpkin! :) My prince charming had already carved and cleaned the pumpkin from the bottom and had the ring all set on a pedestal waiting for me! He got down on his knee and that was that. He later told me that he had stopped to pick out the pumpkin the day before and that it took him hunting for an hour in the pouring rain to find the perfect one that would sit upright!
Anyways... Happy Birthday, Hon! Thanks for the memories... :)
Happy Birthday!!
For several years through my teens my parents had taken me and a friend to a local dinner theatre for dinner. On my eighteenth I got to take TWO friends and see "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" without parents. Great entrance into adulthood and sign of my parents trust and confidence in me.
Have a great year!!
Hi there! Comin' over from This Heavenly Life {a new bloggy friend}. It's always nice to meet new ones.
How generous of you to have a giveaway on your birthday! I have one coming up soon too. ;)
Let's see... A {fairly} recent one was when we served as pastors and a group of ladies {young and young at heart} took me out to Olive Garden. For some reason, they wanted me to wear a shower cap while they got the attention of the entire room. I've never before {or since} seen such a big deal made of someone's bday at OG. I didn't want to wear the cap, so one of my 'friends' put it on me. So embarrassing... and fun all the same. ;) It was a fun night.
One of my best birthday memories was my 21st. Max was about a year old, and Justin and I hadn't gone on a date in WAY too long! Our close friends volunteered to watch him for us. We went to Macaroni Grill and when we got there Justin acted all suave and "requested" a seat in the back section where there was no one seated. We were right in front of the gorgeous stone fireplace and even though we weren't at some super-fancy-truffles-on-your-foie-gras kind of place I felt special getting to sit away from the crowd. We ordered crab-stuffed mushrooms and I got my first {legal} drink as a 21 year old--a sangria martini. The mushroom ravioli was to die for and we split some cheesecake.
Doesn't sound too extravagant, but Justin made me feel truly special on that day. I love that man. :)
Just got back from celebrating my 30th with 20 of my oldest/dearest friends in Chicago. We rented a gorgeous million dollar home only 4 miles from downtown and cooked fabulous meals every day. Friends came from cities all over, some whom I haven't seen in 8 years, some only occasionally in that same period. There was shopping, book swapping, gift giving, great conversation, lots of laughter and hugging...the best birthday party ever!!
Happy Birthday to you, dear Lenae! C'mon now, only a few more years for you to break my four kids by 27 record! ;)
I know I'm late posting this, but happy birthday! I hope it was wonderful!!!
I don't have a special birthday memory - I've always loved my birthday though because I was born on my dad's birthday. I always look forward to his call (now that I'm all grown up and on my own) so when he says "Happy Birthday," I can say, "You too!" When I was a kid, I thought it was cool that we got to share the wishing candles on a birthday cake.
Post a Comment