Wednesday, November 4, 2009

eyes fixed.

You'll find us here at least once a day, Noah and I, curled up in the center of the bed in the darkened bedroom. He is wrapped in a blanket but that doesn't stop him from furiously kicking his little legs and letting loose with tiny screeches of infant indignation. He is so very tired but refuses to sleep. I rub the backs of my fingers across his forehead, kiss his cheek, rub his tummy, murmur softly to him. Soon, soon... His eyelids become too heavy and he is asleep. He'll wake again, though, soon... soon. And so it goes.

When I think he's finally, truly dropped off, I scoot an inch at a time toward the edge of the bed. Is it the creak of the mattress springs, the sound of his brother's voice from across the hallway, or the dog loudly tumble-running down the stairs? Whatever it is, his eyes are open and wild. I know who he's looking for.

I resume my place beside him and he strains toward me. I tuck his blanket back into place, fluff a pillow for my own head, and pull him in close and even closer. I think to myself that surely being crushed up against me like this is horribly uncomfortable, but his reaction to the contact says the opposite. His eyes are fixed on me, his breathing slows and his little hands stop curling and uncurling. He sleeps.

He can never be too close to me... There is no sight more calming than my face inches from his. And even though I have a glass of ice water melting next to a new cooking magazine I was planning on perusing, I am okay with the shift in plans. For now, I am his everything, and I won't say no to it. In fact, I long just as much to be needed- The fibers of my heart vibrate warmly at my children's outstretched arms and expectant eyes.

I need God even more than my little boys need me. And yet, I go... days, sometimes, without acknowledging this need. I can do it without You, I say casually as I change directions and move onto a path where I can't see Him. My eyes are so rarely fixed, sometimes I don't recognize Him.

Christ said, "Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am*, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world," but I pass him by on a daily basis, the way I did as a cruel teenager when someone who didn't fit onto my social docket dared to approach me for simple conversation.

What would happen in my heart if I moved close and even closer? To say, "I need You" -to yell it even!- and not go through a single day without my eyes fixed on Him...? I guess there's only one way to know for myself.
*emphasis mine

5 comments:

Emily said...

As I read your post I started to smell my little baby. To think about him so tiny and cuddly (he is still cuddly, just not as tiny!). Such a wonderful moment. Thank you for sharing.
I to wonder what would happen if my once a week time on my bed with a bible would become more frequent.

This Heavenly Life said...

And somehow I think God wouldn't be the slightest bit annoyed by me waking up yelling for Him, needing badly to be held and reassured. He'd scootch closer -- not because he has nothing better to do -- but because he wants to be everything we need.

Beautiful post Lenae!

Emily said...

I'm going to have to quit saying 'great post!' on so many blogs because as it is, when I run across a really great post, my phrasing doesn't seem to mean as much any more. So let me say this: really, seriously Lenae, thank you for writing this post. You make me want to hug my babies close and wrap us all up in a prayer. You're a great writer...and more.

beck'sthree said...

This is such a wonderful post! It made me at once nostalgic for the days of snugly babies who could fit in the crook of my arm and thankful for the God whose arm I can never outgrow.

Amanda said...

Amazing. How sweet the words about those moments with our babies drifting in and out, and how true the words about our own deeper need. Thank you. I'm commenting after having read this post a few days ago. I have to say your message really stuck with me.