Friday, October 9, 2009

speechless.

I had half my Quick Takes written this morning (although, incidentally, Conversion Diary is not hosting it this week), but ended up chucking the whole draft after visiting the website of my husband's cousin, Daniel. His latest post is about human trafficking and after watching the 15-minute video he included, I just couldn't publish my shallow drivel about the adventures I had at Sam's Club this week.

I wish I had more to say on it at this point, but I feel empty-handed and horrified. As I was giving Noah a bath this morning, my mind kept leaping from his squirmy, precious self in my immediate vision to the images I'd seen on Daniel's site. It's the classic cataclysmic awareness of the luxury and ignorance many of us Westerners float in while others suffer on the opposite side of the globe. My childrens' eyes still shimmer with innocence: Theirs is a pure, glowing existence that I struggle every day to preserve. They go to bed at night smelling of vanilla oatmeal lotion, tucked beneath cool, clean sheets with the soothing, dulled sound of their parents' voices traveling down the hallway and filling their rooms while they drift to sleep.

But somewhere... Somewhere there are children whose innocence has been ripped from them. I glimpsed their faces in a video montage for just a few seconds, but the difference between them and my own babies makes me purse my lips. (Maybe, if I brace myself physically, I can prevent the emotion from overwhelming me.) This is not what God wants for the little ones.

Surely it's not -on the whole- what He wants for any of His children, no matter what age they are.

And that is where I'm at.

I'll be researching - reading - praying. I hope you'll be too.


4 comments:

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

I don't even know what to say... :(
Thank you for bringing this issue back up that so many forget about...

beck'sthree said...

Thanks for this very informative reminder. I may repost later.

Amanda said...

I haven't gotten the courage to watch the video yet, but this is something that I pray about frequently. Thank you for posting about it - we are so often unaware of how others live. It just tears my heart up to think of children being subjected to such.

Emily said...

I haven't watched this video yet, but human trafficking is a huge problem here in Sicily. Not that people are being trafficked FROM Sicily, but they're constantly being sent THROUGH Sicily and into the rest of the world. It's something that we see here every single day--something my kids have noticed and asked about- and it's such a helpless, powerless feeling not to be able to help those girls. I'm glad you're bringing attention to such an important issue. Really, this was a great post.