I adore the pure simplicity of a newborn's needs.Make no mistake: Noah will be a month old this week and already we've had many moments (which sometimes stretched into hours) where we're scratching our heads and wondering what our little boy wants. A friend of mine was talking to me today about how some women seem especially gifted at deciphering their baby's cries. I will admit that with my third-born I am not as adept at figuring out his "language" as I was in the early days of my other sons.
Overall, though, his needs are basic. A fresh diaper, some milk, a knit blanket carefully wrapped just so... He is, understandably, the most content after he's eaten, and I relish that quiet rest following a meal when his warm head lolls in the corner of my arm, his face smooth with ease, his brown eyes fixed on the blurred, Monet-like vision that is my face. His blissful grunts fade into the lullaby of our household.
He is curled up on the couch beside me now, drifting in and out of sleep. When he stirs I reach out and lay my hand on his chest. Instantly he stills. He relaxes under my touch, secure as my thumb rubs small circles on his tummy. My love is enough for him.
Why am I not this comforted by the knowledge that I have a Father who loves me, and infinitely more than I am able to manage -or fathom- in my human state? I have a Book where He practically yells it page after page. I feel it in the embrace of a husband who cherishes me; in the smiles of my children when they exult in things my grown-up mind long ago abandoned; in observing sunsets and rainfalls crafted with as much loving care as those same children were knit together in my womb.
Oh, that my days were more stream-lined around the awareness that I am loved. I am loved.
I am loved.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38, 39
Romans 8:38, 39
4 comments:
How are you so able to capture this with a one month old at home?! Wonderful reminder.
Sometimes, if I concentrate really hard, I think I can catch little glimpses of the love God has for me. But it's so big and unwieldy - I don't know how to accept it. Your final words are a good place to start: I am loved. If I keep telling myself this, I have a feeling it'll be easier to spread His love even further.
A beautiful thought, Lenae, and I am impressed that you are able to see that lesson in your busy little home. Children can teach us so many things if we look for them.
Beautiful. We are loved.
What an awesome post - thanks so much for sharing...I needed the reminder today :).
Oh, I love in your comment section where it says, "make me almost as happy as a milkshake from Chick-Fil-A :)" That is hilarious - I too, love some Chickfila :)!!
Post a Comment