The past week has been a doozy. I’ve been battling a double ear infection which, after the first two days, has spared me the intense pain but left me feeling like I’m living underwater: The kids are muffled and I’m constantly asking everyone to repeat themselves. Then last night, as Hubby and I watched a movie, I got a horrible case of the chills. I was shivering despite being fully clothed with a hoodie and wrapped in a blanket. Four hours later, my fever broke and I spent the night sweating like our bedroom was a sauna.
This morning is thankfully calm, quiet, and slow. I feel out of sorts, like last night’s trial was something I dreamt. I made up a plate of my favorite comfort food –scrambled eggs and toast- and while a mug of chamomile tea steeps on the kitchen counter, the kids and I are snuggled together on the couch watching “The Emperor’s New Groove”. I want to shout an “Amen!” when the title character talks about his groove being messed up; Man, I’m wondering where my groove is right now.
The little boys don’t seem to notice. Gabriel turns to me and says something unintelligible about the show, smiling and burrowing into my right side. Eli has wriggled away to sit on the carpet, staring intently at the bright colors flashing on the screen. His concentration breaks and he whirls around and crawls rapidly to where I am, blessing me with a dimpled grin behind his pacifier. There is laundry to do –there is always laundry to do- and Eli is eating the remote control again. But we have new packs of Play-Doh and, if all else fails, we can put “The Emperor” on repeat and enjoy the cinematic perfection that is Kronk at least 3 more times before Hubby gets home from work. With or without my groove, I think today is going to be a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment