Thursday, July 17, 2008

Grandma Lenae someday.

The other day I went to Target, my little boys in tow. Eli sat in his carseat, cooing and smiling adorably, while Gabriel and I grabbed a quick snack. Our table was next to one occupied by an older gentleman and a boy who looked to be around 12 or 13 years old. I couldn't help but overhear some snatches of conversation between this pair beside us. The boy explained the school structure in the area (how many grades in the middle and high schools, etc.), and informed his companion that he was in the 7th grade.

"Oh, well, you're almost done then. Half way," the man said. "And then you'll go to college. And then you'll go to medical school to be a doctor. Yep... Almost done."

It was obviously a tongue-in-cheek comment, but a glance in their direction showed that the boy was not amused. He looked... flabbergasted. The man just leaned back in his chair and sipped his soda.

Their exchange made me smile. Gabriel happily slurped up the last bit of his juice and Eli, noticing I had looked at him, rewarded my gaze with a big, dimpled smile. I reached up and rubbed the back of my fingers on his tiny shin, so soft and pudgy. He squeaked and waved his little arms around. I noted his smallness -his newness- and wondered for a moment what kind of man he'll grow into. What kind of fathers will my boys become? What sorts of humorous dialogue will I share with their children, my (gulp) grandchildren? Perhaps it's silly to contemplate such things when they're both still in diapers, but I like to daydream and muse on such things... When I take that odd path in my mind, I often find myself at the base of a realization, a stumbled-upon lesson that I might not have unearthed otherwise.

Some day (that will probably come frighteningly faster than I'm aware of), my boys will get older and marry and have little ones of their own. They'll be out in the world and... Will it be evident to this world that they love God, that they are His servants? I've always taken the responsibility of parenthood very seriously, but the ramifications of not doing so ring louder when I visualize how very far-reaching my decisions today will be. How I choose to speak to them and interact with them will contribute to the men they will be. Will I demonstrate Christ in how I help raise them? Someday I will be standing in line at Target, ordering Cokes and nachos for me and the grandkids, and I can only pray that I will reach that spot (digging around in my purse while the Slurpee machines hum nearby), glorifying God all the way.

No comments: