Saturday, February 26, 2011

for Nonno.

Photobucket
My wonderful Nonno passed away last night after battling cancer for several years. I am so very grateful that Ben flew me to California for Christmas so I could see him one last time and he could meet Noah.

Nonno led a full, rich life. As a younger man, he worked hard for Wells Fargo Bank and loved his three daughters and wife passionately. After he retired, he and my Avo kept busy actively serving in their community, shuttling us grandkids to and from activities, and spending time with us.
Photobucket
I'll miss our card games, Nonno, and how you always asked me in the morning if I'd dreamt of you while I was sleeping. Thank you for loving me and always treating me like I was a blood-relative; I'm Italian by osmosis, right? Thank you for taking me to college seminars when I was in high school, and coming to Ben and I's graduation from language school after I'd joined the Air Force. Seeing you with my children was a joy -- I only wish we'd been able to visit you more so they could have experienced all the love and fun I had growing up. You were the very best of grandfathers, and I look forward to seeing you again.

Ti amo, Nonno.
-One of your bellas

6 comments:

This Heavenly Life said...

Oh, Lenae I'm so sorry for your loss. Your Nonno sounds like the most wonderful of grandfathers -- I'm glad you got to see him for Christmas. Hugs, friend.

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

What a truly special person he was. I'm sorry that your heart is hurting... Yes, what a blessing to see him with your Noah! Take care, Hon.

Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry Lenae :(. The photos of Noah and your grandfather are precious - truly priceless.

Prayers for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, hon, I'm so sorry. In Judaism it's traditional to say Baruch dayan emet -- Blessed is the True Judge. I know it brings you some measure of comfort that he's at peace; and I hope his memories bring peace to you and your family, too.

Danielle said...

What a blessing to have those last family photos. Your boys will be so glad to have them when they ask about their Nonno in the future.

Blessings to you as you grieve your loss.

Michelle said...

I am so so sorry, Lenae. That is so sad. He sounded like such an amazing person though, and he made you and your family so happy.