Wednesday, April 21, 2010

my obligations.

I just put Noah down for a nap. He had been playing happily on the floor for awhile, scooting around in circles and cramming each new toy in his path directly into his mouth, but then -ding!- the fun expired and he was ready for Mama's arms again. The wailing commenced and he dragged himself pitifully in my direction. I obliged.

I changed his diaper and once I'd snapped the final button on his onesie, he gave me the sweetest grin as if to thank me. We snuggled and swayed beside his crib for a few minutes and when I carefully laid him down in the middle of it, he didn't cry at all. Not even the tiniest furrow of a brow or trembling lip. He grabbed small fistfuls of the blanket I'd smoothed over him and watched me in an adorably serious way as I walked backwards out of his room.
**
Second-oldest boy is on Day #3 of potty-training. Yesterday saw less mystery puddles around the house. Instead of sneaking into the dining room to do his business, he'll openly squirm in front of me, inviting me to hustle him to the bathroom. I always oblige.
**
Also yesterday, Oldest politely requested a pair of rocket boots. If they actually made them, I might oblige.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Isn't it amazing to see each change, each stage, each moment of little-moving-toward-big?

Emily said...

I love the idea of rocket boots!...and potty training!...and fuss-free naps! You have some serious obligations over there!

(Now excuse me, I hear Katherine coming down the stairs singing "Mommy time! Mommy time!" Apparently, she's ready for me to braid her hair. Did someone say...obligations?)

This Heavenly Life said...

I love hearing these little descriptions of your obligations! They make me remember that my day isn't mundane -- it's normal and perfect.

Rocket boots would be way more fun than mystery puddles...I could get on board with rocket boots. For myself, anyway. For my kids, they already move too fast as it is. Let's not push it :)

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

Putting babies down for happy, fuss-free naps is one of life's great delights! :) And potty training... Um, not as much! Not sure what I think about rocket-boots... It would just make them even faster!