I'm watching them from across the living room. They are huddled around the small dresser upon which our fish tank sits in the entryway, commiserating over how to unscrew one of the knobs on a drawer. Eli grows impatient and wanders away. A minute later and Gabriel succeeds! He marvels momentarily at the knob now in his hand but, having no one to rejoice with, sets it delicately atop the dresser and also wanders away. They take a break to watch "Toot & Puddle", the oldest pretending his cup of milk is "cocoa" and the younger absent-mindedly attempting to shed his shirt. (Shirts are overrated, you know.)My middle son is turning two next week. How did that happen? Last week at my in-laws' house, I stood in front of their refrigerator and gazed at my sons' birth announcements. Noah's -of course- looks much like Gabriel's; as newborns they both had smooth features, large eyes, and pouty lips. Eli was our scrunchy newborn, with a pinched, wrinkly face that seemed angry and a shrieking wail to confirm the notion. He is a silent plotter now, always up to something but absolutely irresistible even at his worst. I will wake up on his birthday and swoop into he and Gabriel's bedroom to attack him with kisses - his father and I will sing "Happy Birthday" at the top our lungs - and I will tearfully observe him eating celebratory chocolate-chip pancakes, wondering where the time went.
But now, it is time to log off the computer and replace the poor dresser knob that is still sitting forlornly beside the fish tank. These boys are growing up, and they won't wait for me to have a good cry about it.
5 comments:
Did I know his birthday was only a few days away from Lauren's? Hers is on Sunday. I feel your pain, sister. I'll wait while you have a good cry. As long as you wait for me, too :)
Good luck with the dresser knob!
My baby will be two in May. Why can't time just stop for a few moments to let out a good cry? Hmm, I might just join in....
By the way- I love that picture of them laying on the grass! Adorable!!
"absent-mindedly attempting to shed his shirt."... I love you put things!!
Oh my, we have had some missing dresser knobs in the past...why do they do that!?
Sometimes birthdays are bitter-sweet. Time goes too fast!!
Two IS a hard age for Mama, for sure! Lincoln's hit me hard... Happy birthday to your little munchkin!
Post a Comment