Wednesday, December 23, 2009

First Christmas.

This is your first Christmas.

The week has been busy and relaxing all at once. Your father and I are enjoying the release of tension that comes with extra pairs of hands: more people to snag fleeing toddlers, to dole out sandwiches, to dab at runny noses. We bask in the shared adoration. They love you as much as we do and it is gratifying to observe others enjoy your unique personalities the way we do every day.

It is unreal for me to observe your oldest brother gallop down the hallway and leap from couch to couch here in your grandparents' house. This is not his first Christmas, nor his second. He is a flying blur of long limbs and cowlicks, amusing us all with his animal sounds, pleas for fweemiches (sandwiches), and guidance over your next older brother, Eli ("Eli, want presents? Okay, gotta wait... Wait...")

And Eli. He is fweemiched between two fairly good-tempered boys. He is mischievous and calculated, frustrating and adorable all in the same turn. He hurts my brain, yet he has all my heart. Just last year he was a wiggly 8-month-old with rosy, chubby cheeks and a shock of messy black hair.

You are the baby this year. You've survived careless brothers kicking you during your tummy time, and been carried along through crowded stores while your parents grab a last few gifts. Your great-grandmother met you the other day and lifted you immediately from my arms into hers. I was mortified when you spit up on her several times and covered her holiday-themed sweater in a delicate coating of regurgitated milk; she just reminded me -with a wink- that she "had three too."

As I write this, you are kicking your feet wildly in the air from the middle of a blanket, surrounded by a half dozen people who love you and will break their attention from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" to cheer you on as you strain to flip over. Tomorrow evening your Papaw will read the story of the birth of our Savior and I will cradle you gently, musing over your face and thinking I might know in just the tiniest way what Mary felt that cold evening. You are loved, little one, by me and even more so (so much more so!) by Him.

A merry 1st Christmas, my precious little boy.

7 comments:

Emily G. said...

This is Maria's first Christmas,too. Noah is such a beautiful little boy, I do not blame your relatives for making a fuss over him.

Merry Christmas to you and your family (who are currently in the same state I am)!

This Heavenly Life said...

I'm so glad you are surrounded by such a loving family during this season! Your boys deserve nothing less than to be fweemiched by love :)

(We watched the Grinch for the first time this year...at the same time *you* were, I imagine. Mia's mouth was slack and her brow was concerned. It was good :))

kim said...

aww merry christmas to him and you

Savvy Little Women - Kate said...

So stinkin' cute!! Hope you have a great Christmas!!

Emily said...

This post made me want to cry. I think it's time for me to go home!

Merry Christmas to your beautiful, beautiful family. I'm glad you're surrounded by so much love.

That Married Couple said...

Oh so sweet. Merry Christmas!

beck'sthree said...

Finally getting back to blogs, and I have to say that I LOVE this post. Such a beautiful message to your precious boy. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!