1. Some of you may know from earlier this week that currently sleep is hard-won in our household. Our precious newborn is a fan of nighttime sleeping only about 50% of the time. On the off-nights, you'll find me and the hubby passing him back and forth, trying our various methods to convince him that snoozing is the way to go. We normally lose the battle and drift into a strange haze of sleep deprivation. And you know you're sleep-deprived when the baby poops all over the bed and all you do to remedy the situation is clean it up as best you can with wipes, flip the blanket over, and then hurriedly snuggle into those stinky sheets because OH MY GOODNESS, HE FELL ASLEEP! QUICK! FOLLOW SUIT IMMEDIATELY!That's not gross, right? I swear we washed the sheets the next day.
2. Yesterday afternoon I found my second-born perched on a kitchen chair, calmly chewing about four pieces of gum he'd stolen from my purse while he carefully removed various cards from my wallet and threw them on the floor. He has no shame, that boy of mine.
3. Don't believe me? About a half hour before bedtime last night, he sauntered into the living room, packing a CUPCAKE into his mouth. "Did you give that to him?" I asked my husband. "No," Husband replied. The little stinker had pulled out the bottom oven drawer and used it as a step to reach the coveted cupcakes.
All that time we thought he was in the playroom, playing with trains. That wouldn't be nearly as fun as stealing sugar-laden desserts, though, would it?
4. ... And you know, it's just become very complicated in the child-proofing department since we now have three, very young children of various abilities. Well, the littlest obviously can't get into much. Yet. But what will I do when he's mobile? I'm thinking we'll go with constructing a secure area in the house that requires retina-palm recognition for entry. We'll fill it with Legos, crackers, and juice, and call it a day.
5. Those cupcakes from #3? They were supposed to be peanut butter and jelly cupcakes. I don't know if that sounds gross to anyone, but my husband LOVES pb&j. When I stumbled upon the recipe, I thought for sure I'd found the culinary treat that would earn me at least 1,000 points in Wifeliness. Unfortunately, I bomb a recipe every few months and this happened to be the latest incident.
But hey, the kids will eat them!
6. I just looked up "wifeliness" at Dictionary.com to make sure it's actually a word (it is.) I downloaded a free game on my husband's iPod Touch called Miss Spell's Class. You're given a list of 15 or so words and simply choose whether you think each word is spelled correctly; your score is a combination of how fast you go through the list and how many you get correct. I was explaining the new game to my husband and how I'd played it, like, 15 times already!, and I even had a few of the high scores and oh, it's so much fun and.... Gee, I think I'm a nerd. (If you're a nerd too, click here to play it on Dictionary.com's website. You can thank me later.)
7. For more Quick Takes (authored by people a lot cooler than I am, no doubt :), swing by Conversion Diary!
7 comments:
Yes sleep deprivation. We have had a few that caused that and I am so thankful for our latest little bundle who slept through from week one, baring a few unhappy nights.
Little boys who get into things and then grin to tell the tale ...well who cas resist the cute little things.
Blessings
I like the secure area idea. There are days when I want something like that-I know she's only one baby but she makes enough trouble for two or three.
I value my sleep . I would totally sleep in baby poop if it was possibly my only chance. Actually, I slept in baby pee a few nights ago. I changed her and put a folded baby blanket over the wet spot, and we went right back to sleep. :P
No, it's not gross, it's survival. You do whatcha gotta do. I remember brushing my teeth and peeing at warp speed once the baby was asleep so I could dive into the covers without wasting an extra second of sleep. My husband knew better than even to talk to me when I was on a sleep mission. Poopy sheets? Pshaw.
That's one smart child you've got there! Although I'd go through just about any obstacle course for sweets too. But maybe not PB&J cupcakes. That sounds gross.
I think we're all in agreement here: poopy sheets fall lower on the totem poll than the ever elusive sleep. You're a woman, dangit. You know how to get the job done. As long as you wash the sheets sometime this *week* I'll still admire your energy :)
And I admit, those cupcakes made me frown a little. It doesn't sound all that good to me. Let the brave kids have 'em.
You're reminding me of all we have to look forward to with newborn care again when our tiniest arrives in December. I think I'm forgetting just how sleep depravity messes with normal thought process--the poopy comforter was a helpful reminder. :)
That middle boy of yours is, in a word, *clever.* I think that's a results of intelligence combined with motivation and it will always keep you on your toes. When there are PBJ cupcakes involved, there's no stopping him.
You may not feel cool in the world of quick takes (I don't either) but I thought your takes were appropriately brief and very witty. I'll keep reading!
I'd never let poopy sheets stand between me and a good night's sleep. You did the right thing.
Post a Comment