Friday, October 2, 2009

Quick Takes

1. As I was pondering what to have for breakfast this morning, I thought of what I call "The Breakfast Code"- the unspoken rules about what is and is not appropriate to eat at certain times of the day. I guess the "Code" applies most strictly at breakfast time: Most people love a good "breakfast-for-dinner" menu, but you won't find them slinging up some pot roast and mashed potatoes for breakfast. Or will you? See, I wasn't indoctrinated with "The Breakfast Code" as a child; it's just something I know. You don't eat cheeseburgers for breakfast. The catch? Since becoming an adult, that kind of fare is what usually sounds good to me when I roll out of bed. Our first week of marriage, my husband was horrified to find me cramming down a piece of cold pizza and some pop before we headed to work. (In my defense, we hadn't gone grocery shopping yet... At least that's my story...) So what about you? Do you adhere to the "Code"? Do you throw it out the window?

2. My husband got an iPod Touch this week. It is very, very nifty. The applications you can download are endless and entertaining. Thought you had to leave "Oregon Trail" at its wistful place in your 5th grade memories? Wrong, friends! You can play it on iPod Touch. You can also transform it into a light saber! Well, not a real one, but it makes the cool sounds.

3. I think fall is the jackpot season for cooking. I love summer barbecues and potato salads and cold watermelon as much as the next person, but the comfort food that resurfaces at this time of year makes my heart sing. Near the top of my cooking queue is Potato Corn Chowder and my mother-in-law's Chicken Dumpling recipe. What are your fall favorites? Share share!

4. My 3-year-old has been into spaceships lately. He has a miniature one with a button that makes "lift-off" sounds and his favorite game is to have his daddy do the countdown. For whatever reason, he thinks my red van is a spaceship. When I was preparing to take him along on a quick errand last week, my husband encouraged me to do the countdown before we pulled out of the driveway. I excitedly agreed; finally, I would be as cool as Daddy! We buckled in and I began: "Gabriel? Gabriel, ready? 3... 2... 1..." I eagerly awaited his "Blast off!" but to no avail. A glance in the rearview mirror revealed his rejection. "Um, no, Mama," he piped from the backseat. Daddy has infinite cool points. Mama's in the negatives.

5. We have the best/worst dog in the universe. He gets A's in almost every category of dogness: Rarely has accidents in the house, stays within the perimeter (of our non-fenced) yard, gentle with the kids, etc. Unfortunately, Snoopy is a Siberian Husky and terrifies about 50% of the people who encounter him simply with his appearance. Personally, I don't think he's all that scary-looking. And he was the runt of the litter, so he's about the size of a large border collie. Regardless, we could amuse you for hours with stories of people shrieking and running at the sight of him.

My favorite story is of a poor UPS man. Snoop barks at delivery people (and generally anyone who approaches the house and/or front door), but he never charges at anyone. When I saw a UPS truck pull up outside one day, I went to meet it and completely forgot to block the door as I exited. Snoop barreled past me and ran onto the front lawn to investigate. Cue the shrieking and running. The UPS man mumbled a few profanities as soon as he glimpsed our dog and took off. Snoop did what any dog would do in that situation: He pursued. The UPS man ended up at the top of our porch, clinging to the railing while Snoopy stood beneath him like a grizzly in the woods. Sorry, UPS man. Next time, stand very, very still and don't make any noise.

6. Here's what I've been staring at lately:7. More Quick Takes @ Conversion Diary! :)

7 comments:

Emily said...

I usually stick to "the code" with breakfast, but I think pizza is totally within the realm of normal morning fare. Still, I'll never forget the day I woke up, stumbled out of bed and saw my husband standing in the kitchen devouring a huge slice of chocolate cake. He still claims it was a perfectly reasonable breakfast.

Your dog is beautiful, but I have no doubt that if he barked at me I'd be in tears. That was one brave UPS man!

This Heavenly Life said...

Oregon Trail?! I LOVED oregon trail. Until one of the wagon kids got offed by a rattle snake or some such nastiness. But still. What a cool game.

I stick to the code where breakfast is concerned - except that any and all baked goods are fair game. So Emily's husband eating chocolate cake? Normal. But no dinner-time food is allowed. That would just gross me out for some reason. Why is that? Is it just conditioning?

Fall food I'm excited for - my roast chicken. The oven needs to be close to 500, so anything above 60 degrees outside makes for torture. But it's 57 here right now...I'm ready :) It puts me in mind of a Thanksgiving feast with a juicy turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing, with pies pies pies for dessert. Fall IS the jackpot season.

Amanda said...

I stick to the breakfast code for the most part, but that's mainly because I love breakfast food. I eat breakfast food for lunch very often. I will eat leftover pizza for breakfast - I picked that up in college. And, as Sarah said, baked goods are exempt from the breakfast code. If there is cake or pie in the house, I will undoubtedly eat that for breakfast as long as it is available.

The ipod light saber sounds awesome! The sound is all it needs! From what I've seen, anything making that sound (or anytime a person makes a sound while holding just about anything) qualifies as a light saber!

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

I love your #6! Sweet!

As for the breakfast code, it's usually stuck to, other than the occasional Dr. P before noon! ;) I feel so naughty about breaking the "no soda in the morning" rule... :) And also, today is cold, windy, and rainy. For lunch the kids and I had mashed potatoes and roast after school pick-up. Now, I even felt silly about that! Having "dinner" food for lunch, lol!

Have a great weekend, Lenae!

The Duncan Family said...

You MUST stick to the code. But that does definately include cold pizza, anything of the dessert nature, and PB&J. My husband used to disgust me when we were first married. I'd wander out to the living room to find him eating SOUP at 6am. And not just some bland, basic soup. It would ALWAYS be thick, creamy, soup. Clam chowder mostly. That is just wrong. Ew. Just the thought of it absolutely naseates me. (Could be partialy due to pregnancy). I still say its gross though.

Fall food...please share your recipes! My arsenal is pretty sad...it needs some help for sure.

Emily said...

Oh! I just thought of this: you should check out Susan Branch's cookbook *Autumn* for fall recipe ideas. It's chock-full of favorites!

Emily G. said...

I stick to pretty normal breakfast foods...though, like many other commenters here, I include pizza in that. I do not eat pie or cake for breakfast, and it really bothers me when I wake up to find Hubby made off with a quarter of an apple pie for his breakfast. Breakfast habits and what we consider okay and what isn't are just weird when you start to think about them.