Tuesday, September 8, 2009

waiting and remembering

I was digging around the archives of our family blog, and found this post from when I was 39 weeks pregnant with Eli. Wow- talk about a blast from the past! The pictures were like a warm wave of memory over my face: I remember the afternoon I took them, and how excited Gabriel was to be finger-painting on the back porch.... I can still hear his tiny voice squealing excitedly and imploring me to squeeze out ever more paint for him to dabble in.

I am there again, that hallowed moment in the elevator of the building of LIFE, right before we step off onto another, completely fresh level. There are lots of little rubs and itches that threaten my patience, that tempt me to forgo any effort at maneuvering this unique waiting period with grace. Shoot, who am I kidding? ... I've had meltdowns and emotional fits galore as I endure false labor and the 86th daily trip to the bathroom.

But sometimes I do it well. I remember to snuggle my husband before we're both so sleep-deprived and baby-overloaded that we forget our own names. I snag Gabriel as he runs by and we have a sweet little conversation where he adorably mispronounces lots of states' names ("Oh-gon! Cal-ih-nee-wa!") I rock Eli to sleep as he screams and teethes in the middle of the night because soon, he won't be my baby-baby anymore.

Sometimes I remember. And it makes the waiting easier.

2 comments:

This Heavenly Life said...

Ugh! What a sweet post! I keep hoping to see some little ditty on here about labor beginning - I hope you know I can't WAIT to hear all about your newest little one. But I'm really glad to hear that you're soaking up these last few days with your family before big changes happen. ((HUGS))

Emily said...

Sounds like you waited out those last few days of pregnancy with a lot more grace than I ever did! I remember sitting in the rocking chair 4 days before my littlest was born complaining that I didn't think she would *ever* arrive, and I was more than a little frustrated with her for it!

Now she's over a year and I wonder where the time has gone. Glad you're savoring it all!