This morning Husband took the older boys to church while Noah and I stayed behind at home. I tried to sneak in some dishes when he fell asleep but soon enough his tiny, insistent squawk summoned me back to the living room. I cuddled him in close and settled onto the couch, carefully pushing aside the myriad of items my other boys had left atop it. We sat quietly for a few moments and then he began to grunt; he, like my oldest, is a grunty newborn. I glanced down into his small, brown eyes. Wide-awake, he was.
We had one of those lovely staring contests. You know what I'm talking about: The still, heart-stopping exchanges from child's soul to parent's when the dirty carpet and sleep deprivation lift off you like fog in the afternoon and you know in some indescribable way that there is a God and He loves you.
I'm in -I've been assured by others- what is supposed to be one of the craziest, most hectic times of my life. It certainly isn't a faiytale, but... it feels pretty darn close to one. I know from experience that eventually the glow will fade and all this mushy talk will stop suddenly and instead of sighing exultantly over the 'New Post' window in Blogger, I'll be sitting frazzled on the kitchen floor with all the kids and some Cheez-It's and praying for a second or one hundred of peace. For now, though? Let's bask in thankfulness and the awareness of a blessed life. The Cheez-It's can wait.
2 comments:
Some people, my husband included, say babies are no smarter than animals. But I think there is more in there then they would have you believe. There is a lot behind a newborn's eyes.
So sweet :) I'm glad you're enjoying it...maybe those crazy times will just continue to roll off your back, because when Noah was born, you became more calm and joyful? That's what I'll be hoping for you, anyway :)
Post a Comment