Friday, March 13, 2009

7 Quick Takes: Family, Food, & Entertainment

1. I've sung the praises of my fabulous "baby" brother before, but seriously- he's awesome! I just love him. I love that we are totally excited about the fact that they're coming out with a big screen version of G.I. Joe (American hero!) Not that I was into G.I. Joe growing up... I was mostly forced into watching it, along with The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Anyhoo, I wish my broski lived closer so we could have a tailgate party at the theater on opening night IN COSTUME. Okay, it would just be me in costume, but he would live vicariously through me.

(**I just realized I have no idea what this movie will be rated -the release date is August 7- so I should be upfront and say I am not positive I'd go see it without knowing how iffy its content will be.**)

2. My great-grandma is pretty cool too. She's 91, and this week, she moved 6 hours north of where she was residing in California. She had a fax machine before my parents did. She uses e-mail more than I do. She even does extensive Internet research for our family's geneology. Did I mention she's 91 years old?! She's no shrinking violet, my Grams. The woman's got moxy.

3. We planted some flowers over the weekend and yesterday, saw the first sprouts of what should be pansies! I felt like Tom Hanks in "Castaway" when he was dancing around on the beach saying, "I have made FIIIIRE!" I feel the same sense of accomplishment when I make edible gravy.

4. Speaking of food, my fabulous friend Melanie passed along some starter and a recipe for Amish Friendship Bread. I've been hooked for the last few months on Beverly Lewis' books detailing Amish life (given to me by my hubby's grandmother), and let me tell ya- reading about Amish food makes me want Amish food.... NOW. It also makes me feel bad for ever making Hamburger Helper or biscuits out of a a canister. I wish I was a homemade superhero!

5. The latest issue of Christianity Today has an article on a stage production of "The Screwtape Letters." First of all, I am a C.S. Lewis junkie. If Narnia was a real place, I would pack up the husband and kids and we would go there immediately. Other than the Chronicles of Narnia, I adore "The Screwtape Letters." They're witty, funny, and will shake you up inside. I wish the play was going on closer than hundreds of miles away from me.

6. Netflix sent us "The Jungle Book" this week. I forgot how much fun that movie is! I was trying to boogey with Eli to one of the songs, but he always looks terrified when I dance with him. His face says, "I don't know why you're smiling and laughing, because 20 seconds more of this will cause everything you just fed me to return to its maker." So we don't dance for long. At least not together.

7. Heard of Joy Williams? She used to be a Christian artist, but has segued -musically- into "Indie/Pop/Alternative" (according to her MySpace page). I loved her music then and now; I am hooked on "What Can I Do But Love You." I think tonight, after the kiddos are in bed, I'll twirl around the living room with my hubby while it plays :)

No comments: