Wednesday, February 11, 2009

trust me, we keep busy.

Since becoming a stay-at-home mom when Gabriel was born, I've actually been asked by an incredulous person: "What do you do all day?" Of course, I couldn't tell this individual that we're actually superheroes -you know, like the Incredibles!- and we're occupied with saving lives and stopping monstrous aliens with dastardly motives. Sometimes, though, our uniforms need mending and the, um, super-vehicle that we use to get around requires maintenance. In which case, we stare at the wall. And do things like this:
Superhero Time-Passing Activity #1:
Mashed Potato Hair Conditioning
Western society today frowns upon messy eating, but in the Ross household, we think 10-month-olds understand what makes life vibrant and worth living. Mashed potatoes are yummy in the tummy, yes, but by golly, it's almost as satisfying to apply some to the hair! Try it sometime! If anything, the experience will provide some amazing pictures and an excuse to blog. And look how excited Eli is about the whole thing. Don't resist the urge next time.


Superhero Time-Passing Activity #2:
Create alternatives for alarm systems and guard dogs

Superhero children are brilliant and probably should not be left to their own devices, without supervision, for very long. While Dad was doing homework and Mom fell asleep on the couch last night, Gabriel used his new kite (purchased with Valentine's Day money from Papaw and Grandma- thank you!) to construct an elaborate maze of string in the living room. When I woke up, I was shocked at the detail he mustered in under half an hour. Look how many times he wound it around the lamp! He even wrapped the recliner about 4 times. Unfortunately, we're going to have to shelve his concept until we go on vacation or something, because the only person it's catching right now is his little brother.

3 comments:

Winn Family said...

I LOVE THE WAY YOU WRITE! HA HA--that string was amazing! and the hair tip--definitely been used here a few times--it is way better the gel. (plus adds texture and pizazz) I'm excited that I finally get to see you at Ella's b-day party! AND CONGRATS ON THE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (you can tell that's serious because, seriously, that's a lot of exclamation marks!)

papaw said...

Thanks for the laughter this morning. Sure loved the security system story and the mashed potato hairdo. I remember a few of those with Jeremy and Ben.

You are definitely incredible and that definitely describes your family of superheros. Love, Grandma

Anonymous said...

the mashed potato hair conditioning reminded me of this morning when max sneaked off after pancakes w/o getting his hands washed and proceeded to rub maple syrup/pancake remnants in ben's hair. it was just QUALITY.