Friday, January 8, 2010

Quick Takes

1. I was trying to find a new calendar at Walmart this week when a teenager approached the display with her parents. She looked horrified and indignant when her mother held up a calendar and said, "Honey, kitties! This is perfect for you!" The girl continued searching and explained, "Where are the hot guys? I want a calendar of hot guys." She was not amused when her father offered her a calendar of classic cars. Finally, she snatched up a calendar of inspiring Bible verses, saying, "No hot guys. I guess this will do."

2. You know what's depressing? Coming home after two weeks of vacation and seeing how many pounds you gained while away. And then you look up the nutritional information of your absolute favorite Starbuck's drink and see that it is quite a large fraction of what you're allowed every day if you want to lose weight. Sigh... Starbuck's is too expensive anyway. At least that's what I'll tell myself...

3. If totally helps that my mother-in-law sent us home with three boxes of brownie mix that were on clearance at her local grocery store.

4. I thought I'd die of cuteness last night after my husband finished saying grace before dinner and our 1 1/2 year old said, "Amen" ("Ah-main!") for the first time. He even let his big brother hold his hand during the prayer. I love it!

5. Earlier this week I took the kids to an indoor inflatable jump place. After several successful solo jaunts up the big slide, Eli decided that he was suddenly afraid to go down again. He was pacing nervously at the top of the slide with an entire family waiting behind him, and I couldn't do much because I had the baby strapped to me. I summoned Gabriel and asked him to please slide down with Eli, and hold his hand, okay? He dutifully scrambled up the slide, plopped down next to his brother (who looked very relieved), grabbed Eli's hand, and pulled. Any relief Eli had flooded from his body as he slid -face first, on his tummy- down the huge slide. I guess I need to be more exact when giving directions to Gabriel.

6. Confession: Our Christmas tree is still up. Someone please say theirs is too.

7. Add me to the list of people in love with Picnik:
{More Quick Takes @ Conversion Diary!}

7 comments:

This Heavenly Life said...

1. Odd.

5. Oh, kids. At least he did what you asked him to do! But poor Eli :(

6. OUR TREE IS STILL UP!! I am SO glad to know we're not alone. We un-decorated it a few days ago, but it's been far too cold for Justin to feel like hiking with it into the woods for disposal.

7. I've been absent from picnik for awhile. But you're sowing the seeds of inspiration! (Especially with my awesome new button!)

lucythevaliant said...

Priorities:
1. Hot guys
2. Bible verses
3. Kittens
Oh to be a teenaged girl!

What is picnik? I have to go investigate now!

Jordana said...

My tree is also up. We wanted to leave it up until Epiphany. Today I plan on undecorating it.

Emily said...

Bible verses and hot guys, I love it!

Our tree is down, but only because it was so dry and brittle I was convinced it was going to catch on fire. All of our other decorations are still up...I'm getting to it, slowly.

Emily said...

1. Too funny!!

Poor Eli! He got you on a technicality! :)

Hearing your boys say Amen is so precious! And holding hands, definitely a cute moment for the books!

Have a great weekend!

Udubalum mama said...

We had two Christmas trees. Our first one became a fire hazard about two weeks into December and had to be pitched, so we borrowed one from a neighbor who was pitching hers before heading out of town for the holidays. BOTH have been removed from our home, which I say not to be smarmy, but to make myself feel better about all of the other Christmas deco I haven't removed from the premises. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I LOVE the stories about your boys. The prayer: so sweet! The slide: perfect example of how boys view nurturing.

And those were some sweet photo illustrations. I'll have to check out picnik, too.

Rebecca said...

I too am in love with Picnik, great job on your photos.

3 boxes of Brownie mix? - my hubs would be in heaven!