Thursday, December 17, 2009

Quick Takes.

1. Honestly? My house just hasn't looked very good since Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving, people. I had a good thing going for awhile, a routine that produced a picked-up, cozy haven for my husband to come home to. Now he comes home to the ultimate, cliche sitcom house: The two older kids (more likely than not) are running laps on the main floor, dodging piles of crayons, puddles of apple sauce, and a mysterious substance that no one wants to identify. And I (more likely than not) am standing in the middle of it all with the baby... and we both look dazed and confused.

2. Normally I'd give myself the "Hey, don't sweat it" pep talk, but we're preparing to leave for a 2-week vacation (eeeeeeeeee!) in Ohio. And I can't leave a disaster behind because that means we'll come home to... a disaster. Does anyone else feel this compulsive need to leave their abode spotless when they go on vacation? I even tried to talk myself out of it: "C'mon, Lenae... Just turn on the dishwasher, ignore the laundry, throw some stuff in the suitcase and be done with it. No one will know." Couldn't do it. I imagined the house sniffling and crying to itself while we were gone: "Man, you provide shelter, a place to regroup, a canvas for creative expression, and this is the thanks you get. I'm filthy! It's just not right..."

Alright, house, I won't do that to you.

3. My parents sent me a bread machine as an early Christmas present and I ADORE it. I dump a handful of ingredients in it, press a few buttons, and let it stink up the house with fabulous, yeasty goodness. We all hover around the freshly done loaves and fight over who gets the first warm slice. Yum.

4. I always know when my 3-yer-old is going through a growth spurt. If I miss the fact that his pants are suddenly flooding, his appetite is a dead give-away. During the last few weeks we've watched in amazement as he ingests more at mealtimes than his father. I guess I better hurry up and write that bestseller so we'll be able to afford the food he'll consume during his teen years.

5. We set up bunk beds for our older boys a few days before Thanksgiving. They used to sleep in separate rooms but love being roomies. Unfortunately, they like it a little too much; eight o'clock is now party time for them. Their room is lit just enough by a nightlight to avoid stumbling, but somehow they manage to 1) remove everything from their dresser, 2) scatter books all over, 3) completely disrobe, and all sorts of things. The other night as we headed to bed, my husband and I ducked our heads into their room. This is what we saw:
They had dragged their blankets and pillows under the bed and gone to sleep.

6. If you haven't already, click over to This Heavenly Life and enter the giveaway celebrating Sarah's first blogiversary! One lucky winner could win an adorable apron from Jessie Steele! And, um, if you don't like the possibility of winning free stuff, at least head there to read her post from Wednesday: It's the best post I've read in awhile.

7. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! And stay safe, those of you who, like me, will be traveling somewhere for the holidays!

{More Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.}

6 comments:

Emily said...

I can not leave my house a disaster either! I even must pick up at least the main room when we leave for the grovery store! Something about walking into a messy room meakes my mood a little sour.

My boys love being roomies also! We just promoted the oldest to his own room, but the two smaller ones are often caught in the same bed! Sometimes I think we should just get rid of one bed and save the space!!

Have a great vacation and a Merry Christmas!

lucythevaliant said...

They are so cute sleeping under their bed!

I hate leaving a messy house, too. I always imagine how much I will hate coming home to a mess.

Debbie said...

Oh yes, I remember the days when I was doing well if I got one thing picked up.

Ohio?? I live there and, um, we Ohioans try to go someplace else for vacation. Especially in the winter.

Elisa said...

Haha, LOVE the bunk bed roomies. We have 2 boys and I want to get them bunk beds at our next place. I'm married to an Army man!

God bless.
~Elisa

This Heavenly Life said...

That picture of your sleeping cuties is so funny! Oh, kids. What would we smile about without them?

Want to know something terrible? I hate leaving my house messy, because what if I DIED and then people had to come over and help Justin with the kids and they were all like "Whoa. Rest in peace, sloppy Sarah." But, that could happen on any given day, not just when I'm going out of town.

Maybe I should get off here and go scrub my toilets right quick...this is all giving me chest pains.

Chelsea said...

Sometimes I leave my house a mess just so that the cleaning fairies have an opportunity to come do their magic.

They never come.