Monday, November 23, 2009

You know...

... the whiny, poor-me days when you find yourself stooping down to pick up such-and-such toy for what seems like the 3,000th time? The days where you think, "Dude, it'd be nice to change it up a little... Like, just pick up and go to Disneyworld for the day! Wahoo!" But instead you trudge into the kitchen and make what seems like the 600th peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

I'm not having one of those days.

But I think my kids are having one of these days: You know, the "Seriously, isn't this the 4th consecutive day she's given me apples as a snack?" days. The days where dumping juice on the floor seems like a tired trick and for the sake of entertainment (and when you're 20 months old, entertainment is imperative), something new is in order.

On days such as this, they sneak off and have a brother council. Well, I haven't actually observed their councils but I know they must have them. I imagine Gabriel hoists Noah into a Fireman Carry and the three of them wiggle under the crib in Eli's room. See? Insta-Strategy Chamber. And they say to each other, "You do this. And I'll do this. And... Hey, can I have your pacifier? ... No? Alright, whatever. So yeah, and then he'll do this. And I'll do this! And then Mommy will explode into crazy Mommy pieces!!!!"

Yes, on days such as this they throw me for a loop. My 3-year-old -who seems to be in a phase of perpetual whining- goes down for a nap CHEERFULLY. And my 1 1/2-year-old -normally all smiles and quick to forget offenses- cries for 2 HOURS STRAIGHT about who knows what. Cries so much that he throws up. TWICE. And the baby -who has been boycotting daytime naps for weeks- crashes for the entire morning.

I'm confused. And I think they won this round.

4 comments:

This Heavenly Life said...

Huh. So these insta-strategy chambers...do they come with locks? Because I'm thinking you could just sneak in when they're occupied with battle-planning and...

Surely that's illegal, though.

Right?

Enjoy those smart boys :)

Emily G. said...

What about days when your baby learns how to open the gate to the kitchen, hitherto a realm untouched by her whirlwind hands? I'm trying to do last night's dishes while pots crash out of the closet, the contents of the diaper bag are spread all over the floor, and I'm holding the household cleaner cabinet shut with one foot while standing on the other.

The idea of your three little guys in conference with each other made me giggle. You are funny.

Janice said...

Oh Lenae,
I remember those days. I'm not too sure I miss them though!
I had my 2 & 10/12ths (smile) year old grandson over several times this weekend. Generally very easy going with Grandma, he was determined to be/do the total opposite of what I wanted. And quite bossy too! None of the magic words and tones.
Katie said you were getting married the weekend I was in Monterey for her graduation, otherwise she would have introduced us.
I'm enjoying your family.

Emily said...

I love the image of your three boys holding secret conferences under the crib! And, judging by the look in his eyes in that picture, I can totally believe it's true! But hey, at least two of them went in for sleeping, right?

Hope you're feeling better!