"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
Matthew 7:1-5
I've read this verse many, many times. Enough times, actually, that reviewing it has become, well, sort of rote. Yawn... Don't judge... Focus on the plank in my own eye.... Yada yada yada.
My flippant attitude got tossed in my face this week. There was no confrontation with anyone, no face-flushing moment in which I was caught unloading gossip. I've just been reading and praying and thinking and... I think God showed up.
Because here's the thing: Taking a plank out of your eye is extremely hard to do. I think for the longest time I've been mistaking it for recognizing a plank: I can list my sins, shortcomings, and struggles off the top of my head. But am I actually praying that God will help me overcome them?
Commence with the face-flushing.
I've been straining to hit the brakes in my brain when I start accelerating toward judgment. You know what I'm learning? Whiplash isn't comfortable. I didn't realize how much time I spend mentally categorizing others... comparing myself to them. "Well sure, I can be materialistic sometimes, but at least I don't..." Fill in the blank.
The but is where the brakes are applied. I pull a U-turn and face my plank head-on. It's amazing to behold the road crowded with my insecurities, arrogance, and self-absorption. Funny thing, though: When I stop focusing on so-and-so -stop convincing myself that I really am just fine- I not only see the plank in my eye more clearly, I see Him more clearly. The longer I gaze on Him, the more unwilling I am to turn on my heels and run back the way I came. And there is an overwhelming confidence that comes with the knowledge that He'll never leave my side as we chip away at that plank, one wood curl at a time. Together.
My flippant attitude got tossed in my face this week. There was no confrontation with anyone, no face-flushing moment in which I was caught unloading gossip. I've just been reading and praying and thinking and... I think God showed up.
Because here's the thing: Taking a plank out of your eye is extremely hard to do. I think for the longest time I've been mistaking it for recognizing a plank: I can list my sins, shortcomings, and struggles off the top of my head. But am I actually praying that God will help me overcome them?
Commence with the face-flushing.
I've been straining to hit the brakes in my brain when I start accelerating toward judgment. You know what I'm learning? Whiplash isn't comfortable. I didn't realize how much time I spend mentally categorizing others... comparing myself to them. "Well sure, I can be materialistic sometimes, but at least I don't..." Fill in the blank.
The but is where the brakes are applied. I pull a U-turn and face my plank head-on. It's amazing to behold the road crowded with my insecurities, arrogance, and self-absorption. Funny thing, though: When I stop focusing on so-and-so -stop convincing myself that I really am just fine- I not only see the plank in my eye more clearly, I see Him more clearly. The longer I gaze on Him, the more unwilling I am to turn on my heels and run back the way I came. And there is an overwhelming confidence that comes with the knowledge that He'll never leave my side as we chip away at that plank, one wood curl at a time. Together.
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9
5 comments:
Ugh, this is so hard to do! Usually my 'but' is more, "Yes I am being judgmental, BUT I'm RIGHT!!'
Like that makes any difference!
love it! wonderful words, lenea!
I totally get this. And I love the image of Jesus right by my side lovingly chipping away at my plank. Thanks for posting this one.
*chin tucking*
*eyes downcast*
I'm with Lucy -- 'BUT I'M RIGHT!'
Thanks for the reminder :)
So true. Isn't it amazing when God REALLY makes a passage of scripture grab your heart? And I think you really hit the nail on the head with the distinction between recognizing the plank and doing something about it. Thankful that He is with us always!
Post a Comment