It's a rare occasion when I venture out with all three of the kids. Noah is only 6 weeks old so his feeding times are still coming fast and furious and if you read this post, you know that nursing in the car isn't exactly my favorite pastime. Combine that with an incident at Chick-Fil-A where a female manager looked so very worried about me with all those kids that she felt compelled to unwrap and lay out all three of the meals for us (nice, but a little overkill... While my face was flushing crimson, I had to stifle the urge to yell, "Hey lady, I can unsheath my own straw, okay?!)... Yeah, I'm a little hesitant to go anywhere beyond the driveway if I don't have my sidekick -a.k.a. Husband- with me.But sometimes I do. Occasionally a task or need demands my attention (example: We're out of peanut butter! Everyone, calm down! It's going to be oooooookay...) and we load into the van to remedy the disastrous situation.
Getting into the store from the parking lot is stressful enough for me that I usually do a little prayer session at the steering wheel before I take the keys out of the ignition. The bigger boys are kind enough to complement my prayer time by screaming in the background to be released from their carseats. And.... out of the car I go. Bursting from my seat reminds me of how I bolted from the gas chamber at Air Force boot camp; It's all about having a sense of urgency, people.
I put the baby in the front carrier, buckle the 1 1/2 year old into a shopping cart, and assign the 3 1/2 year old to remain beside me with strict instructions to HOLD ONTO THE CART, GABRIEL, AND DO NOT LET GO. Then I attempt to power-walk through the parking lot, which is difficult to do because 1) my legs are much longer than Gabriel's, and 2) I am not distracted by puddles, flags, or random bubbles the way he is.
Once in the store, I have only a couple objectives:
- Find and secure the peanut butter as quickly as possible.
- Prevent Eli from tearing down food displays.
- Prevent self from purchasing unnecessary boxes of brownies from the bakery which self will eat on the way home.
I have lamented that it is assumed I dissolved into a depressed heap upon hearing that I would be the mother of three sons. Having the "pink" comments continue to fly even after he has been born makes me somewhat defensive. I know they're meant in good spirits (well, unless I get a dirty look following my answer. Yes, it's happened) but I still wish at times that I could whip out some Wolverine claws and... and... slice and hack some son-love into these people ("slice" and "hack" are metaphors, of course; The Wolverine claws are just for a cool effect.)
Yep, the one in the carrier is a boy TOO. Don't worry about me. Someday I'll have a set of offspring to rival Troy's army and then they'll be bringing the peanut butter to me!
7 comments:
Ha! Yes, the response in your title would be a wonderful comeback. At least then they wouldn't be wondering about miniscule details like gender.
Your shopping trips provide such entertainment that I can begin to forget that someday - someday - I may be the one carting 3 little ones around and wondering how to do so with as little peripheral damage as possible. If I ever have a third girl, we should become neighbors and freak people out with the multitude of children. And plan a triple wedding, of course.
Love the title!
Just reading this makes me have flashbacks to my own life almost four years ago. Mine, too, were newborn, 1 1/2, and 3. Those days were hard. Now they can all walk, but they insist on standing on all three sides of the cart so that it's like I'm pushing a 10-ton 18-wheeler.
Take a deep breath and remind yourself that one day they will grow . . . and that cart will weigh even more!
Sarah- Um, you better (someday) have a third! It'd be a crime not to, considering how gorgeous and entertaining your two are :) Besides, I've already half-planned the triple wedding in my head and it would be a bummer to have to discard all my fun ideas.
Beck- They really should make bigger carts. With DVD players built in.
And here I am handing myself mental Mommy awards for taking my two out of the house by myself every once in awhile! Sounds like your shopping trips are a blast. Honestly though, I think I'd just smile up with limp gratitude at anyone tried to unwrap my straw....
As for the whole boy/girl issue, I hear ya! People feel so sorry for Chris that he doesn't have a son it's outrageous. He always offers a firm "girls are good too" before they ask if we're going to try again. As if we'd failed before...I guess everyone feels that kids are kind of like salt and pepper shakers. You absolultely must have one of each. I say, dress that little guy in a hunter's cap with earflaps and they'll probably back off.
There are times when I am intimidated by shopping with ONE very energetic nine month old. I need to get over it, I guess. You've humbled me.
Three boys in a row is not even that many! People can be really thoughtless. I have some friends who had five boys before a girl finally arrived, and I know another family who has eight boys and then two girls. And, have you ever seen this blog:http://blessedamongmen.blogspot.com/ She has six absolutely adorable sons.
You're brave. I panic going to the store with one and she's strapped in an infant seat!
It's crazy how other people like to project their gender issues on pregnant moms/new babies. We didn't find out what we were having until she was born, but people never hesitated to tell us what we should have (as if we had any control) and why girls/boys are better than boys/girls. Weird.
Oh my word, this made me literally laugh out loud! You are my hero, Lenae. :) And I love the new blog layout.
Post a Comment