Friday, July 3, 2009

7 Quick Takes- Eeyore edition.

1. My son's 3rd birthday was last week, which means two significant things in our house: 1- My baby is a year older! (Hold on a sec while I blow my nose, please...) And 2- There is now a new collection of birthday gifts strewn about the house which the 3-year-old and his 1-year-old brother are waging wars over. There aren't really any rules in these battles, just general characteristics:

:: If he has it, I want it now.
:: If Mommy or Daddy say to share it, I will throw it as hard as I can against the floor/wall. Because if I can't play with it, ain't nobody playing with it.
:: New movies should be watched at least 14 consecutive times before we stop.
:: All the new toys should be congregated in my room before I go to sleep. And if I wake at 2 a.m. and realize they are not all present, there is absolutely nothing wrong with screaming my head off until my parents fix the problem.

2. For the first time in years, I made lasagna this week. I rarely make lasagna because I grew up eating my mother's lasagna and haven't you heard of it? Because it's the best lasagna you'll ever eat. My husband thinks Stouffer's lasagna is the best lasagna, so normally that's what I pop in the oven. Anyhoo, I decided now was a good time to try my hand at it again. I waited patiently while hubby gobbled it down and inquired what he thought. "Well, Stouffer's sets the bar pretty high, but this is about as good." That's right, everyone: A freezer lasagna has set the bar. I'm competing against a freezer lasagna.

3. Actually, I have a Stouffer's lasagna story to pass on. My brother told me that a few years ago, he and his roommates had a craving for it in the middle of the night. After working themselves into a frenzy talking about it, they finally piled into a car and grabbed one from the grocery store. They were dismayed when they arrived home to see on the box that it takes well over an hour to cook. Young men that they are, they threw the lasagna into their refrigerator and went to Taco Bell instead. Because sometimes you want Stouffer's, but not that bad.

4. I promise Stouffer's is not paying me to use 2 of my quick takes talking about them.

5. In other kitchen news, try these Chocolate Chip Banana Bars. You'll want to bake and eat them twice in a week... not that I have or anything. But if you do, just tell yourself they have bananas in them, and that makes it okay.

6. So my best friend and her family left last week for (my beautiful, glorious state of) California- The United States Air Force has a new assignment for them there. We spent the week building up to their departure assuring one another that this wasn't a big deal. We both grew up in families that moved a handful of times and you know, neither of us is emotional about goodbyes so no hard feelings when all you get is a peace symbol out the car window, okay? The day before Moving Day arrived and we ended up hugging about two dozen times as we parted ways. And THEN she had to stop by ON Moving Day to drop off some food they had leftover... and to hug two dozen more times. And THEN she had to leave me a voicemail when they crossed the state line into Cali and say that she LOVED me. (Why the "L" word?! Now I'm done for.)

I might have teared up this week when I realized she wasn't in town to grab an iced coffee with. Why do best friends have to move away sometimes?!

7. And just so we don't end this week's quick takes on a sad note, go read Sarah's set at This Heavenly Life. She's far funnier than I am and I promise you won't be let down :)

>>> For more Quick Take goodness, swing by Conversion Diary!

2 comments:

This Heavenly Life said...

Oh, girl. I feel your best friend sadness. Mine only lives one state away now, but it might as well be a different coast for as often as we get to see each other. Good luck with that!

I loved your birthday toy rules; I think they must be distributed with toddler toys because my kids do the same things. Other than waking up at 2 am. *fingers crossed*

Good work on the lasagna - I just had some stouffer's this weekend and I promise I would have rather been eating homemade. I'm not a huge stouffer's fan. It's good, but...but...nothing touch's momma's home cookin'.

And thank you for the free advertising! You play it fast and loose with your compliments, but I'll take what I can get!

This Heavenly Life said...

Congratulations! I’ve nominated you for the Honest Scrap Award. Have fun with it.
In accepting this award, I need to do the following:
1) Say thanks and give a link to the presenter of the award.
2) Share "ten honest things" about myself.
3) Present this award to 7 others whose blogs I find brilliant in content and/or design, or those who have encouraged me.
4) Tell those 7 people that they've been awarded HONEST SCRAP and inform them of these guidelines in receiving it.