Sunday, March 29, 2009

what it is.

I like to update our family blog regularly, but whenever I went to do so this week, I kept thinking, "Well, there's not really much to say." You know, the same ol', same ol'. I could tell you about the small, not necessarily thrilling details that comprise most of our days: That my oldest boy, who has been a little behind in speaking, is starting to string together fuller phrases and sentences, and by golly, I think he's BRILLIANT; or that the week is here, the week that my baby turns a year old and how I can't contemplate it without tearing up and having deep, soul-filling thoughts about the fast passage of time. (And oh shout, I just told you! But you loved it, right?)

It is what it is. Perhaps to others, they may be small and not necessarily thrilling details, but to us, they are everything. They're the moments we'll play over and over when they're big, moments my boys won't remember. We'll laugh so hard that we'll cry and we'll pause at certain pictures in scrapbooks and say, "Oh man, you used to do this and it was crazy!" They'll look at us incredulously and some of the pictures they'll giggle at too, and others they'll want to burn. (They won't get their way, but I promise I won't whip out the bathtime pics when they bring their girlfriends home for dinner.) There'll be piles and pages and reminiscences of thousands of small details, a mosaic of steps that spiral into a life that was blessed throughout and definitely did not stop at merely thrilling... It was -it IS- extraordinary.

No comments: