Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ohio has taught me some things.

  • Hey, below-zero weather isn't that bad! It's bearable unless there's wind; then, it's miserable. Below-zero wind is evil and wants to steal your soul. But there's also something cheerful and appropriate about the traces of snow on the ground. And finally, as my husband points out, I can now sing all the popular Christmas songs with some credibility. Who knew that "dashing through the snow" was so much funner to sing when it's actually snowing?! Go figure.
  • I can overcome my obsessive need to be immaculately clean while eating to consume chicken wings IN PUBLIC. See, we went to this restaurant called Buffalo Wild Wings. Heard of it? It's pretty much the greatest sports bar ever but despite the hubby's enthusiastic endorsement of their titled food, I just haven't been able to eat the traditional wings. I usually punk out with the boneless wings that I can tidily put away with a fork. Now I can add something to my list of accomplishments: I came - I saw the traditional wings - I ate them in the presence of many. I may have asked Ben about 50 times while we were eating if I was clean, but I did it, people. (It was worth it.)
  • Ohio-ites (Ohioans? ...I think they prefer to be called Buckeyes) wear more team stuff than I have ever seen in any other state. No, Texans, you don't win this one -sorry. Seriously, has anyone watched any NFL games this year? The Bengals? ..Mm, not doing so good. But the Ohioish are sporting orange and black like it's perpetually Halloween around here. And Ohio State stuff? Wow. Women wear Buckeye necklaces! (For those of you who don't know, buckeyes are nuts with absolutely no purpose.) We're talking big, jangly necklaces strung with... worthless nuts. On that note, being a lifelong 49ers fan, I should pass along to my husband that he's more than welcome to buy me a huge gold necklace to show some team pride. ...Get it?! Gold = 49ers? I'll be here all week, folks :)

No comments: