I watched "Lars and the Real Girl" tonight and absolutely loved it! I've read some good reviews of it but was admittedly not expecting much. What I got, however, was exactly the type of movie I like: A movie that brings to life the way people can -the way they could... they should- treat one another. And in the not-so-ironic way that God seems to work, the concept of loving one another and what that really means is what my pastor at church happens to be preaching about.Isn't it funny how despite the way you were brought up or what you believe morally/spiritually, you can still be a complete jerk? Growing up, my brother and I would occasionally get into a huge brawl and it would just exasperate my dad to no end, how cruel we could be toward one other. "You only have one brother, and you only have one sister," he'd say to each of us. "Take care of each other." I was raised to care about others, and then I became a Christian and discovered that it isn't just the nice, best way to go about things; it's paramount to living in a Christ-like, God-glorifying manner.
About a year ago, I suddenly became very aware of the times since I've been an adult when I was mean to someone. It pains me to contemplate that regardless of my faith, I still deliberately hurt people sometimes. I didn't expect that being a Christian would transform me into a wholly saccharine being, but it's hard to swallow, the knowledge that there are ugly remnants inside that I, on occasion, let fly with abandon.
Lucky for me, there are movies that give me a rough idea of how it could go. Better yet, there are verses which remind, inspire, and promise us that best of all, when we love, we affirm that we are His.
No comments:
Post a Comment