I had the privilege of compiling a Father's Day slideshow which was presented at church this past Sunday. Aside from the natural enjoyment I get from these kinds of projects (hey, I'm a computer geek!), it meant a lot to me to be entrusted with my fellow church members' photos. While I watched the final product, it was extremely moving to take in this visual presentation of the precious bond between fathers and sons, between parents and the children God blesses them with.
We all realize this at some point: Time flies. Eli's 2 1/2 months old and that just blows my mind. His eyes have lost that newborn lack of awareness and now glimmer with understanding. When we make eye contact, he smiles and laughs excitedly. This gurgling, squirmy ball of cuteness was inside me less than 3 months ago? How can that be?And so I have been trying to slow it down lately and savor the tiny things that someday, I'll have trouble remembering in fine detail. I'll recall that Gabriel was completely confused when we all sang Happy Birthday to him on his 1st birthday; I'll be able to mentally conjure up the delivery room and its lighting and the furniture on the day little Eli was born. In ten years, though, will I be so quick to remember the sheer joy that my 2-year-old exudes when he's giggling at Curious George? When I'm carting them to baseball games and picking up fishing supplies, will I be able to hear how his sandals slip-slapped on the ground as he ran the aisles in the grocery store?

... Or the look on Eli's face when he falls asleep in my arms (how he looks so peaceful, so undisturbed and untouched by the ugliness in our world)? What about the sweet picture that is my boys -all of them- on Sunday afternoons, piled onto the couch and balancing toys and burp cloths and sippy cups...?
Yes, time flies. I'm snatching up every good moment and doing my best to thank God in the process. He deserves more gratitude than I can give Him for all the beauty He's placed in my life.
1 comment:
I loved this post! You are so positive about everything- and your kids are so cute. I have a hard time focusing on the moment and enjoying the small things that bring me joy. Thanks for reminding me to do so.
Post a Comment